The thought of repainting a room can be daunting. But, if you want to give your space a fresh look, it may be time for a change. One big decision you’ll have to make is what color to paint your ceiling. Many people choose a white ceiling paint in order to create the illusion of height in a room. However, painting your ceiling the same color as your walls can also be a great way to make a statement.
Before making a decision, it’s important to consider both the pros and cons of painting your ceiling the same color as your walls. Whether you’re hiring a professional painter or going the DIY route, here’s what you need to know.
Does Painting the Ceiling the Same Color as the Walls Make the Room Look Bigger
One of the oldest tricks in the book when it comes to making a room look larger is to paint the ceiling the same color as the walls. This works especially well if you have crown molding painted the same color as the rest of the room. It helps blend everything together and give off an overall feeling of expansiveness. The logic behind this is that if there is no break in color between the wall and ceiling, then the eye will not register any difference in size and the room will appear to be one continuous space.
However, in some cases, it’s more effective to use different hues for the ceiling and walls. Let’s look at the pros and cons of painting them the same color so you can decide what will work best for your home.
The Pros and Cons of painting ceiling same color as walls
- When both the walls and ceiling are the same color, it creates a seamless look that can make the ceiling a “fifth wall”.
- It creates a visual illusion of a higher ceiling when done correctly.
- Having fewer paint colors to choose from can also save you money and time. This can be especially helpful if you’re painting a large room or working with tricky cuts like around crown molding.
- It can give your space an elegant and cozier feel.
- Painting both the walls and ceiling the same white color won’t create any conflict in undertone colors.
- This is a great option if you’re going for a low-contrast look in your home.
- You may get sick of looking at the same paint color all the time
- It can make a room feel closed in if there’s not enough natural light
- Too much of any color can be overwhelming, so less is typically more when it comes to using bold colors.
- Lighter and darker colors often look better together than colors that are the same shade.
- Flat white paint can help hide imperfections, while colors often highlight them.
- This is not a great option if you’re going for a high-contrast look.
Tips for painting walls and ceiling
Now that we’ve gone over some of the pros and cons of painting your ceiling the same color as your walls, let’s talk about some tips to make sure the project goes smoothly.
- Installing crown molding and painting both the walls and ceiling in one color can add a feeling of height to a room.
- Avoid any paint colors with conflicting undertones – this will ensure that your space looks cohesive and put together.
- Don’t be afraid to branch out from traditional white ceiling paint colors. There are lots of great options out there that can add interest and depth to your space.
In addition, most professional painters recommend using a flat or matte finish for the walls and ceiling with the same white color. Flat paint finish will help minimize the appearance of any imperfections on the ceiling and make the room feel more open.
For walls, professional painters suggest using an eggshell or satin finish. These finishes will provide just enough sheen to help hide any imperfections while still allowing you to easily clean the surfaces. And a semi-gloss or high-gloss paint on any doors and trim that you’re painting.
Painting ceilings the same color as your walls may seem like a small detail, but it can actually make a big difference in the overall aesthetic of the space.
If you’re unsure about whether or not to paint your ceiling alone, consider hiring a professional painter to do the job for you. They will be able to advise you on the best course of action and ensure that the job is done correctly.
Get a quote from a professional painter today and see how they can help you achieve the perfect look for your home.